Thursday, November 13, 2008

Books on my Desk Part 2

I forgot a book that isn't on my desk - Andrew and I are reading Grace Based Parenting by Dr. Tim Kimmel together. We started it in a class in TX before we left. I have definately become a high control parent from all the stress lately, and reread parts of it again this morning after reading I John 2:6 "Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did." Been thinking about how DID Jesus walk? My sphere of influence is primarily my family right now, and you know it is not good when you are threatening your children with consequences in the same breath that you tell them about God's love for them. I am thankful for lots of chances with kids to get it right. :o)! Anyhow, so far it is very helpful.

To answer the question: So how do I keep all the books straight. Well, the Dr. Farmer book I read straight through. I started it on my trip to Seattle after reading a couple of books of quotes my aunt had from Mr. Rogers and Mother Theresa and a biography of Sidney Poitier while I was there. The history book I go back to and work at from time to time (been at it more than a year I think) and am learning a ton. The Bible Study I do during my quiet times sometimes as I am learing about grace. And the parenting book, Discipline book, and Psalm 23 book are all supplemental to what God is teaching me about myself and grace right now, and about discipline -which I have been lacking and am trying to regain ground. My weird brain assimilates stuff instead of going in a progressive logical thought pattern that most people have (I found this out in college in one of my learning development classes) and it used to drive a lot of my college friends nuts. I put things together in my brain and somehow it works itself out. Sometimes my brain likes a vacation and then I read mysteries for junk reading, but when I get started on those I don't get stuff done that I need to sometimes - so I am avoiding them because I have too much to do right now getting our house put together and getting ready for the holidays. :o)! I guess that pretty much makes me a nerd (no matter how hard I try to hide it!)

No comments: