Friday, March 25, 2011

Making stuff.

I saw these balance boards on a blog post recently, and thought - this would be a great thing for Seth and Gavin to keep them busy and active inside. So yesterday I decided that instead of just thinking about it (or cleaning house, for that matter) we should just DO it. I got a stair tread that had been pulled off, and talked a friend into running to Menards with us to get duct tape, a dowel rod, and a smaller saw for the boys to use, and off we went. The boys got some lessons in safety and sawing (I got a great woodshop book that my Dad recommended - great info on woodworking with kids!). We clamped the board and dowel to the dining table to saw, and I think they are gonna need a workbench that is their height - the angles were all wrong for them, but they learned something, so it counts for school - right? AND the floors on that level got a good cleaning when we were done, so that is good, too! Then we duct taped the boards and dowels to our hearts delight, and then playtime. Do you know they are great for banging, also?

I think I am in love with duct tape. I wonder what else I will come up to tape up with it in the near future!?!

And we did some spelling/reading games with our alphabet beanbags that I FINALLY got finished. (Yay for finishing projects!)
Then we went shopping with friends. I don't think I can figure out a way to count that in as school today. Bummer.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Great work! I'm glad the project turned out! I can't wait to see what other duct tape creations you come up with. Who knew there were so many fun duct tape designs?
Thanks to the surprise Menards trip, I finished some projects here as well.

Stephanie said...

The bean bags are awesome. They like great.
And I agree about duct tape--great stuff.

Hope you and your boys are good.

Sarah said...

Shopping... budgeting, money, and categorizing are all important school skills! Making sure you get what you need to plan for a project is also a vital life skill.

I'm glad you got the bean bags done! My girls love to use ours!

And as for Duct Tape... may have to look into that. What cool designs!