I had a FANTASTIC birthday. I got to hang out with my girlfriends on Saturday night and one of them made me a fabulous birthday cake. A friend stopped by with flowers for me. My in-laws and dad helped the boys and I get the house ready and Andrew got home from his trip!!!! We had an early dinner at Famous Dave's BBQ. I got a free appetizer and a huge ice cream sunday with fireworks on it.
But at the end of the day after everyone went to sleep I was still feeling sad that I hadn't gotten ANY birthday mail this year. Now why that would really bother me I don't know, since I rarely remember my friend's birthdays and don't automatically expect them to remember mine. AND everyone was HERE - my whole family, Andrew's parents and my dad. Tonight I really realized why it was still eating at me. This was the first year in my whole life that I didn't get a card from my Gramma! No matter where I have been in my life, no matter how old, she always remembered me and my birthday. And she is gone. I have cried pretty hard several times tonight since I figured it out. So sad that that part of my life is done and gone forever. I really miss her. She was a clothes horse, and stylish. She was practical and independent. She was a fighter - fighting for what is good and right. Helping the handicapped or those wanting to become literate, taking an art class, quitting smoking, eating healthy and exercising to the day she went down. She was an interesting person and interested in others. She was always serving and helping others. She was full of a quiet steely-ness that undergirded everything she did. I admire her strength and want to grow up to be like her. Every morning she sat at the dining room table overlooking the mountains and had her coffee, medicines, read her Bible and the daily bread. She loved and was loved to the very end. I am so thankful for her, to have been her granddaughter. And I am still so very sad that she is gone. It reminds me to love others the way she loved me. Gonna work on that this year! :o)
2 comments:
Beccy, this post made me cry. I have cards from years ago. In fact, I have a birthday card from my 3rd birthday from my sweet Gramma. She had this great habit of underlining parts of the cards that she really liked or that she thought "fit me". You're doing a great job with your kids!! I admire the memories you're making with them and your creativity in all the fun you guys seem to have. Love you!
Aw, sorry that this birthday was missing your Grandma. I know how beyond special she was to you. Hopefully with each passing birthday it will get easier and the void she left won't sting as much. Happy birthday sweet friend, it was a joy to get to spend it with you. :~)
Post a Comment