Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Drumroll, please...

My GARDEN!!!! I now have a view out my picture window (what? the intersection isn't fun to look at?) I mixed flowers and edibles. This section has pea/nasturtium towers, herbs, irises, and some other flowers. The lilys in the corners of my garden are from the gardens that were already here and got transplanted. The stepping stone is from the Beam's farm in OH and has moved with us all over the country - it has sea shell fossils in it.
The corner section has drought tolerant plants and my new sour cherry tree. The middle section has 4 transplanted rose bushes (I hope they survive) and green peppers in the center. I am going to add onions, carrots, and lettuce to this section of the garden as well.
This section of the garden has blanket flowers, delphinium, glads, zucchini, yellow squash, pumpkins, watermelon, butternut squash, and the stripe through the middle is going to be corn - 4 foot variety and maybe I will grow morning glories on it (heard that is good pest prevention for the corn.) I want to try growing my bush beans on the ends of the corn strip again (the bunnies ate a lot of stuff while I was gone, and a lot more died from no rain/water while I was gone, so A. bought me a bunch of new plants.) Mom, check out the bottom left corner - this is one of 2 spots where my Becky shasta daisies are - don't they look happy?!? Love them!
I have tomatoes and flowers in the half barrels. The tomatoes seem to be pretty happy and have started flowering. I have dianthus, lavendar, verbena, marigolds, moss roses, cone flowers, black-eyed susans... I feel so rich! I can't wait to start sharing the results of my garden. I also have raspberries planted along the side of the house. The strawberries didn't do anything, even being moved to pots in a sunny area, so I will have to try again with those next year. The mulch I put down is cocoa bean mulch, so my garden smells like chocolate! This whole week is supposed to be rainy and overcast, so hopefully all my babies will make it and be happy.
This is how I feel about my garden:
"we cried out to the LORD, the God of our fathers, and the LORD heard our voice and saw our misery, toil and oppression... He brought us to this place and gave us this land, a land flowing with milk and honey (read bunnies and great neighbors)...And you and the Levites and the aliens among you shall rejoice in all the good things the LORD your God has given to you and your household." Deuteronomy 26:7,9,11
And yes, Abby, there will be pumpkins growing in my front yard. But I plan on sharing them with the neighbors instead of stealing them. :o)!



1 comment:

Debra Moses said...

Beautiful!! You're amazing & talented!