Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Gavin the Brave

Gavin had his 2 year checkup today. He is doing GREAT. His only unresolved health issue is that he has a constant runny nose (and that may be allergy related, or just catching lots of viruses and it will continue till he develops immunity to everything here in NE). He is 30.2 pounds and 33 1/2 inches tall. Dr. Toth said he doesn't feel as floppy with his muscle tone and and one of his foot reflexes is more normal. He was really pleased with what he saw. We will schedule a routine MRI this spring or summer for the second baseline. He recommended not pursuing any chiropractic care for Gavin as the risk for a stroke is too great (something we had been talking about after hearing about it, but hadn't been able to find much information on). Gavin had bloodwork drawn to recheck his allergies, his iron deficiency, and for lead. Dr. Toth says that Gavin may be outgrowing the dairy allergy, but that is often replaced by a lactose intolerance. If he is finally just lactose intollerant we would have a lot more food choices to consider for him!!!! (BTW - I found a dairy free margarine at a local store on Sunday, that will be great for baking and cooking with, and Gavin can have butter on his toast for the first time!)

After Gavin's doctor appointment, we went down to the lab. Gavin sat on my lap, they stuck the needle in and fished it around till it was in the right place - and he barely wimpered. He just sat there calm as could be. We almost didn't even need to hold him. We were almost out the door when they told us they forgot something and he had to have his finger pricked. He screamed during that one, but I was so proud of both boys. Seth was so obedient at the clinic, and Gavin was so brave that we are having a special treat and taking them out to Applebees for dinner (and we haven't grocery shopped since we got home from our trip - guess what Mommy is doing tonight!)

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

I am so happy to hear that Gavin is doing well. I understand your excitement about finding a margarine spread you can use. Su was crazy excited when she found one when we were at school.

Anonymous said...

I am really glad I read this because it reminded me that I am supposed to go back into the hospital for another round of shots for Juliette and get her lead screaning stuff done (I forgot to go down there last week - whoops!) Thanks for inadvertently keeping me on schedule! :)