Sunday, October 5, 2008

When does this happen?????

So this week I was driving down the main road by our house (45 mph) and all the sudden I hear this big THUNK, and then a noise like a flag whipping in the wind. I look over and there is a 4 inch long praying mantis on the edge of the window by the seat belt. Now bugs and I don't do well together (but don't tell my boys this as I do my best to keep calm) and I am starting to flip out. The last thing I need is a 4 inch bug flying around my car in heavy traffic. It ends up flying onto the back of the passenger seat and it is still making the noise like a flag flapping in the wind. I mostly roll up the windows to cut down on the bug getting blown any more, turn off onto a side street and try to keep my panic under control. The bug starts to crawl onto the top of the seat. "Look boys, it is a praying mantis! It is coming to say HI to you!" They are calm and pretty excited to see this bug they know is in the car, but couldn't really see before. I get home and am in total panic mode inside, but totally calm outside. I get the boys out of their seatbelts and they are having fun watching the 4 inch long bug crawl around the inside of the van. I run in the house and call Andrew. "Please tell me you are almost home! There is a huge praying mantis in my van that you have to get out for me!" Andrew says, "It doesn't seem to be bothering the boys any." He is already in the driveway watching the boys and laughing because I am freaking out over a bug (He got hung up on.) I tried not to cry from the adrenaline let down, and felt pretty proud of myself that my boys thing bugs are pretty cool things to see and hold. They have no idea that their mom is such a freak about bugs. There are a lot of really neat bugs around here. We have seen about 4 or 5 different kinds of caterpillars, a cicaeda, a walking stick, and a praying mantis, plus all the spiders, butterflies, ladybugs, and other little pesty bugs that we see all the time. The funny thing about it is that none of this bothers me as much as having fire ants, hornets and jumping spiders that we had in Texas. At least most of the bugs here are the good guys!

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

congrats on keeping calm in front of the boys. sorry, i think i would have been laughing at you like andrew. love ya.

Anonymous said...

Glad you left those "bad guys" in Texas. Welcome back to the mid west. Sandi

Miriam said...

Thanks for sharing - it's fun to read how you were struggling to stay calm :) Although it wasn't fun to go through at least it made for a good blog bost!

Anonymous said...

Oh my word this is hysterical! I would not have been able to keep calm like that in a million years! I do not do well will bugs. I am glad you think the ones out there are 'neat'. Cause I don't think that would be my description...:)