Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think I would be a sports mom.
Never.
I am kind of really bad at anything competitive or involving a ball.
BUT GOD HAD A DIFFERENT PLAN FROM MINE.
(I am pretty sure that last statement could be the title of a book about my whole life...but that is a different story.)
Sports. This fall.
Ice skating/hockey.
Swimming.
Tennis.
Three coaches. Three times.
This is the thing I didn't get until recently: Seth and Gavin have way more energy than I can think of ways to burn it off, but when they start to get into trouble it is often because they have too much energy.
Starting to be naughty? Run a few laps up and down the stairs.
Acting up in the store? Jump up and down on one of the square floor tiles.
Need to be still at the nature preserve? Take them skating for an hour first.
It works. What I am loving is that it is not taking away from family time at all, that the boys are learning to listen and take instruction from a variety of other people as authorities in their lives, that they are becoming good at things I could never teach them, that they are becoming more interested in many other areas of life as they explore new horizons, that I get to work out while they are having tennis lessons,...
Sports mom.
It is starting to fit.
I think I need to keep working on being more sporty to keep up with them seeing how my 2 main sports skills are biking and climbing trees.
So what is next?
For Gavin I see a lot more hockey and swimming. He pretty much has a one track mind..hockey and water have been his obsessions for a LONG time.
For Seth? Well, he will get at least one season of hockey on a regular team just to learn the basics and learn to swim for safety, but then? Speed skating? Fencing? Archery? Golf (I hope not...)? I am glad he enjoys it all, and it will be fun to see if he does everything like Daddy or specializes in something at some point. It is a real adventure.
Pretty much loving it!
And Seth's scarf is getting longer. :o)
2 comments:
Boys need action!!! So happy you're loving your new role! I can't wait until Tripp is in sports, I know he will love it like your boys do!
Cool! You will have to learn to make more than scarves while you are waiting. You might end up making sweaters!
Post a Comment